Snow White - Mirror Mirror
This costume was made during late 2015 and early 2016, and is based on the film Mirror Mirror, not the Disney version of Snow White. It was first debuted at Anime North 2016. With it I won an Honorable Mention for Fabric Manipulation and also the Best Recreation Award in the Artisan division during their masquerade.
The first step of this costume involved the smocking details for the bodice. I spent a lot of time researching different smocking techniques and ended up finding honeycomb smocking, which looked a lot like the costume in the film. It took me a while and a lot of my grandmother's help before I finally had the technique down pat on a few practice sheets, then I finally started on the official piece. This required basting interfacing with a square dotted pattern onto the fabric and starting the technique from there. The whole panel for the bodice took about a month and a half of work during my free time while in school.
Once I was finally finished with the smocking, I used a pattern for the skirts an bodice. The skirts are connected, and both are attached to a waistband which closes with a hook and bar closure. The shorter upper skirt has gathered ribbon details which I had to do myself, using a lot of ribbon and a gathering stitch on my sewing machine. Once I had enough I sewed it onto the skirt's finished hem and above the hem as well. Next I made a flower stencil that looked like the flowers from the film's dress and drew on each flower by hand using a permanent fabric marker (tested out multiple before hand because many bled on the fabric).
The bodice was made by mostly following the pattern's instructions, but with several alterations. The smocking panel had to be zig-zagged all around in the pattern piece's shape to be sure it wouldn't let go once it was sen in. Then it was sewn in as any ordinary piece. The back panels had to be altered as well so that the bodice would fit me properly. There is a lining that is completely interfaced and has plastic boning channels attached, with the boning in side them. Other alterations I did to the bodice included switching from using a zipper to a laced up bodice, and adding a modesty panel to the back. The lace up was done by putting in little loops of dark blue ribbon that lined up on each side up and down the back opening, then when sewing the lining to the main bodice fabric they were sewn in as well. They lace up by putting the remaining amount of ribbon through the little loops. The modesty panel was sewn in between the lining and main bodice fabric's seam.
Another difference on my version of this costume is the lace on the top of the bodice, I put in three layers which were each top stitched on one at a time, starting with the bottom layer and finishing with the top.
The sleeve were also altered from their original pattern, but only that I made them far bigger than the pattern called for. There is also an elastic in the middle of each sleeve, and at the end, which is how they stay up and look like little poof balls when I wear it. Without sitting on an arm they tend to drop down to a full length sleeve.
The giant bow on the back was sewn in separate rectangular pieces, which were altered from the pattern I was using. The loop pieces have thick interfacing attached to them, and the small loop in the middle of the bow also has wires to keep it round. There are several snaps attached to the top and center of the bow that line up with snaps that were attached to the back of the bodice. Although it looks heavy this bow is actually very light and it can be hard to tell that the bow is actually there at all sometimes. The gloves were made by mostly following the pattern with a few alterations. I added in an elastic (in it's little casing) at the top to actually keep them up on my arm without slipping. These elastic's casings are hidden because they tuck under my blue sleeve poofs. I also attempted covered buttons for the first time and succeeded, and each sleeve has a small row of these buttons towards the bottom. As well as I carefully placed orange ribbon as a laced up detail like the film version of the dress. This was done by pinning the pattern in place at the crosses and fold overs of the ribbon, then sewing them down at each "corner". There is also the same lace from the bodice on the hems of the sleeve.
I also made the hoop skirt of this costume using very thrift techniques. The white fabric I used are actually old bed sheets, and instead of boning I used rubber tubing. I ended up sewing on ribbon as a "casing" for the tubing, but unfortunately the tubing would not stay stiff or circular inside the casings. I ended up being given stiff wire that fit inside the tubing, and pushed it all into the tubing of the skirt. This keeps the skirt very stable and helps it keep its shape. The tubes are closed off with other pieces of tubing and tape.
The beaded crown was mostly trial and error. I used a headband and multiple strips of thick wire which I then beaded with silver/clear beads that resembled the shapes on Snow White's crown. The wires go through the entire bead sequence, then at the top go right back down the sequence again which added stiffness and kept them from coming apart. The ends of the wire were wrapped around the headband and glued in place as well. A type of silver ribbon cover these wires and there is also a strip of stick on bling.
Awards Won for this Costume and/or Accompanying performance:
- Honorable Mention for Fabric Manipulation, Anime North 2016, (International) Artisan Division
- Best Recreation, Anime North 2016, (International) Artisan Division
- Runner Up, YetiCon 2016, Experienced Division
- Fantasy Realm Award, CAPE 2017, Adult's Division
Click images to view larger: