Twinrova - Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
The props were literally made around two small flashlights. That's right, the prop torches do light up! I used a thing type of wood that is bendable when soaked in water and wrapped it around the bottom of the flash lights, glued it together and put some elastic bands to keep it's shape. The elastic bands were covered in raffia to match the other part of the props.
Next, I glued on layers of the organzas and tulles. Tulle is all on the inside to give them their shape, and organzas outside almost like a tube so that the lights could bounce off of the shiny fabrics. Next I attached some raffia to some craft foam cone shapes, which are the black detail pieces. I wrapped this around the area where the fire parts and the stick began, and with some help, glued it on carefully. The details were simply painted on.
The buttons on the flashlights are rather easy to click on and off. All I have to do is reach into the puff and find the button to turn them on, and the same to turn them off.
This costume was made for Otakuthon 2015.
I started from the bottom and worked my way up, so the first thing I did was purchase the shoes that go along with the fabric of the belt. This happens to be the EXACT same colours. The first part I actually worked on to make though was the pants. I designed the pattern myself, and it was rather simple, the waist and each leg hole are gathered quite a bit to let the pants poof lot. I added a lining as well, and hand sewn onto the lining was a lot of tulle, two layers of it to be exact. Then I added on the cuffs on the bottom of the pants, added an elastic to the waist and they were done. Probably the easiest part of the costume.
Next was the belt. This was done as one would make a quilt, pieces all sewn together, and the symbols were appliqued on. The side that faces my legs did not have the design on them though, but were still sewn nicely. This was attached to the bottom of the actual belt, which overlaps each other and stays on with Velcro.
Next was the corset and the sleeves. The corset was made by altering an already existing corset pattern (can not remember which pattern I used). Twinrova's corset has two points over the breasts, so I had to add that while making the back swoop down a bit more. The entire thing is boned and lined, and I used plastic boning. The gold patterns were just top stitched on before sewing the lining closed, which made it a much cleaner finish. And I also hand sewed a bra in between the good side and the lining so that I wouldn't have the wear one underneath. This made it a lot more comfortable, and kept everything in place.
The sleeves were made of the same fabric as the corset, and the pattern was quite easy to create. The white patterns were made by making a stencil that I traced on repeatedly then filled in with white fabric markers. The gold was top stitched on.
The black fabric was also quite interesting to work with. I am not quite sure what kind it is, as it was found in my mother's sewing/fabric room. It's a type of fake leather, and softer on the inside. It likes to stick together, which made boning the corset even more important that usual (corset with parts sticking together like folds doesn't tend to look good). It also enjoyed sticking to the sewing machine on humid days, and some times to the bottom of the sewing machine's foot. Also if pulled on the scaly parts like to fall off. But luckily they don't while I'm wearing the costume.
The wig was a lot easier than I had thought. I'm not very good at hair styling but luckily this turned out to be quite simple. I took the front area of the wig and pulled it to the back to make a pony tail. The very back is also in a low pony tail as well. Then for the front strands that I left out, I tied them together then glued on the decorative pieces. Then I took some white pipe cleaners and stuck them into the decorative pieces and hid them into the hair, and used them to make the circular shape, and thread is what keeps it all up in place.
All the larger details, like the breast decorations, fore head gem, belt "buckle", gem and the pieces holding up the hair were made from a high density florist foam, not the typical stuff from the dollar store, this stuff is very easy to carve and doesn't clump up. It was absolutely lovely to work with and carve all the pieces out. All of them have a layer of gesso on them and several layers of paint.
The pieces holding up the flaming hair are also covered in craft foam to make them even smoother, and those pieces also have more stencil and paint work.
The flaming hair is all made of tulle and organzas of different shades. To attach it to the foam pieces I would fold a piece in half and slip a bobby pin on, this were very easy to stab into the foam, then glue down.
The pieces on my head were all attached on a singular, thin headband. The gem hangs off of a wire, and it also has to be stuck to my head using double sided tape to keep it from moving around. The fire-y stuff is glued and also has some wires keeping it in place, as well as a piece of card stock paper that is glued to the bottom of the headband, which made the glue have more surface area to stick to and made it stronger.
Awards Won for this Costume and/or Accompanying performance:
- Best Headpiece, Otakuthon 2015, Artisan Division
- Cosplay Arts Scholarship, Ottawa Geek Market 2015, Scholarship Division
Click images to view larger size: