Lissa - Fire Emblem Awakening
This costume was made in a three month period between May to July of 2016. The first part I worked on was the top half of the costume. The corset, sleeves and blouse pieces are all attached to be one large, detailed piece to make the costume easier to put on and wear. I used the McCall's M7306 under bust corset pattern and altered the shape and then added onto it from there with other pieces. The brown criss-cross details are ribbons that are top stitched on, and the silver pieces go right through the fabric to stay in place. The entire thing is lined, interfaced and also boned along the lining. The sleeves are a custom pattern, with very gathered sleeves, and elastic casing near the elbow in order for the sleeves to bunch correctly and fall the way I wished. The seams on the sleeves are french seams and are top stitched down to resemble the stitching lines on Lissa's official art. The blouse part is lined and has bra cups in it as well for support and comfort.
The next part I made was the hoop skirt. It was made using a new method that I made up, using recycled steel boning and duct tape. The vertical supports are made completely by duct tape, and is therefore much easier to move and sit in. I made up a how-to on making my hoop skirt HERE.
The skirt has two layers and the additional aprons. The skirts were a trial run involving the shape and took multiple attempts to get the shape I wanted. Once figured out I made the "petticoat" layer, which involved two layers which is also heavily interfaced so that the hoops wouldn't show through the skirt. The skirt layer is very basic with hems and such, and another french seam top stitched down on the back skirt. These skirts are all attached to one waistband. The aprons are also attached to another waistband and involved multiple attempts to get the right shape and size. The ruffles are box pleats that were measured out carefully so that they would be even. At the side of the apron's waistband there are two snaps which attach to the brown cording on the skirt. This brown cording is also sewn to the back of the skirt and sewn to each other on the front to keep them in place. The snaps make the cord very easy to put on and remove.
The hat detail is made in three pieces. The first piece are the "button like" details that go along the side of Lissa's face. They are made with very thick interfacing, which I appliques and cut into to get the shape and holes correct. The other fabric piece was made with satin that was also appliqued in a scalloped pattern which was carefully trimmed. These two pieces were sewn together using a slip stitch. The crown piece was made using craft foam that was cut into the proper shape then primed and painted. It's sewn to the other pieces with a slip stitch that goes right through the foam. The wig is an Arda Canada's Chibi in Ash Blonde that I re styled into pig tails and curled using a curling iron and a lot of hair spray. The hat attaches from the loop shapes on the crown piece, they simply curl around the pig tails, just like Lissa's does in the art work I used as reference.
The staff was made using EVA foam and pink installation foam. The first part I did was the EVA foam "wings" on the sides of the staff. I made up a pattern for them, then cut it out and carved out the details using a dremel. The main body of the staff was made using installation foam that I glued together, carved and carefully shaped and sanded using my grandfather's drum sander. I cut the main body piece in half, and cut out the shape of the staff's stick piece, as well as a hole on the side where the wing pieces would go into. Once the pieces could all fit together I glued them all in place, and placed nails in certain areas to keep the wings in place, as well as keep the main body pieces together to glue back together properly. Once the glue was dry I used plaster to cover up the nails, bumps and any rough edges that showed through the foam. After a few layers were dried I primed and painted the entire thing.
The stick piece of the staff is actually a thing, cardboard stick from a Fabricland drapery bolt. It's sturdy but can easily be broken, so it was duct taped and covered using a special adhesive that looks like wood. This makes the staff a lot stronger and makes it look a lot more like wood than it would have with painting alone. The ball on the top of the staff is a clear Christmas ornament filled with light blue organza. It' simply glued onto to very top of the staff.
Awards Won for this Costume and/or Accompanying performance:
- Honorable Mention for Positive Attitude, Otakuthon 2016, Master Division
- Hall Contest Award, Yeticon 2017
Click images to view larger: