Skyloft Zelda - Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
This costume was made in the spring of 2016, and is a character I have been wanting to do since the game The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword released.
I started by using a McCall's pattern (can not remember pattern number) and altered it to the way I wanted for this costume. I ended up lengthening the skirt part as well as adding in some extra flare from the waist point down since the pattern did not have as much flare in the skirt as I would have liked. I also played around with the sleeve lengths and widths so that they would fit my arms comfortably but still look a bit tight like Zelda's. The dress is made of a pink broadcloth and has a facing around the neck.
The yellow designs on the dress were all hand painted onto the dress by hand using stencils I had made using very specific measurements to make sure everything was even and evenly spaced. There is also a zipper on the back of the dress as a closure. The dress's seams are also all pressed open with serged edges - my first costume I made that involved using a serger.
The brown belt was made using a rectangular shape. The yellow cording was top stitched on before the sides of the belt were even sewn together, to make sure the yellow cord lined up properly. I also put in tiny gold tassels to hang off the belt which also required some hand sewing to be sure they would stay in place. The blue quilt-thing that hangs off of the belt is made of broad cloth fabrics. It was simple the pattern out and does not have any interfacing or stuffing inside it so it would remain very light.This piece is also hand stitched to the bottom of the belt using a slip stitch so it would stay up and not droop downwards. The white design was appliqued on carefully.
The dress and belt details, the gem and belt buckle, are both made out of a carving foam based on floral foam that I often use in my costumes. I carved out the details for these parts then primed, painted and sealed them so they would be shiny and not break. The gem attached to the dress using magnets, and the belt buckles attaches to the belt using velcro.
The gold belt is made from soup can lids, as I was trying to keep costs down as well as add in some type of thrifty-ness to the costume. They have the right shape and size as well as a neat texture that resembles the look of the character's belt. With help from my dad I drilled in some holes on either side, then spray painted them gold. A wire in ribbons was looped around the back of each lid and in the front it resembles a jewelry link.
The harp was cut out of a thick EVA foam using a jig saw blade. The details on the harp were made of craft foam that was hot glued on and the entire thing was primed several times. Then it was painted gold and the details got a few strokes of darker gold to add some detail and more dimension to the prop. The harp strings are wires that were poked through the foam (with the help of a pin most of the time).
Click images to view larger size: