Sakura - Cardcaptor Sakura
I started making Sakura during December of 2016, with the intention to debut it at Anime North 2017.
The first thing I made was the petticoats. For the shape of Sakura's petticoats I needed to make two different kinds. On the bottom I used a very stiff bridal crinoline and gathered it heavily at the waist. It sits outwards in a similar fashion to a tutu, without actually being a tutu. The second is a more traditional petticoat, made with gathering thinner and longer strips of softer bridal crinoline to thicker and shorter pieces. I tried my best to make it appear as though there were two layers of petticoat, just like Sakura's in most official art. The stiffer petticoat could hardly be seen under the fluffier one, so this effect worked out rather well.
The dress was made using a very lightweight polyester fabric. Due it it's airy weight it did not cause the petticoats to droop and the skirt just gently sat on the petticoats. The pale yellow stripe was top stitched on and the hems are finished by using a rolled hem finish. Horsehair hem would have been ideal for Sakura's very flowing skirt, but due to the weight of the fabric it would have shown through, and made for a rather distracting finish. The skirt is finished with french seams. I also had to make bloomers for the costume as the skirt doesn't cover very much. They are made using elastic at the waistband and leg openings. There is a bit of soft crinoline at the hip area between the outside and lining of the bloomers, and the elastic at the leg openings is covered with a lace finish.
The bodice of the dress is fully lined with the same soft fabric and all seams are overlock finished and pressed open cleanly. I drafted the sleeve patterns myself and they are heavily gathered organza that is slightly transparent just for some extra fanciness. The sleeves have elastic in the arm hole openings and has lace top stitched on top of it.
The hat is made using a very large circular piece of the main body fabric and some of the softer crinoline as a lining. The edges are heavily gathered forming the very round hat's shape. The gathered edges are sewn into a rectangular piece that is about the size of my head. A bridal comb is sewn to the front and attaches to the wig and my actual hair through the wig to keep everything in place.
My wig is a base Natasha in Light Brown from Arda Wigs Canada, and was cut and layered to it's current style.
The staff is made using an old broom handle, a Styrofoam egg that I carved into, a few Styrofoam balls that were cut in half and craft foam cut out carefully for the wings. once all the pieces were shaped and attached together I used lightweight wall plaster to smooth everything out and fill in the Styrofoam holes. Once that was dry I sanded it down, primed it and painted everything. I also used sparkles and gloss in certain places.
The Clow Book is made using a base storage book from the dollar store. I primed it and carefully hand drew the front cover details on it, and eventually painted everything.
Kero was made using a pattern from I Wear a Bow, which she has available on her website. I did everything by hand during my exam period at school, and didn't use a machine for any of the details.
Awards Won for this Costume and/or Accompanying performance:
- Best in Class Individual in the International Artisan Divison (Anime North 2017)
Click images to view larger size: